In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products or services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
- The only thing we knew for sure was that we wanted a wedding on the beach.
- We also knew we didn’t want a traditional marriage ceremony because we didn’t want to do our wedding someone else’s way. Instead, we wanted something unusual and intimate. A destination wedding turned out to be the most romantic and fun way to tie the knot and to do things the way we wanted to.
- We wanted a unique location that would always be special — an exotic location, such as the Bahamas was close, yet far enough away. And, another cruise is never out of the question, so we can look forward to returning on future anniversaries!
- It was a travel convenience… a way to turn our wedding into an exotic “vacation” for all of our friends and family, as well as ourselves.
- Our only responsibility was to dream it, select a date, decide on the friends and family members to invite, and which amenities we wanted to include in our “wedding package.” The rest was left up to a highly capable wedding planner! This made it possible for us to enjoy every second of the wedding ceremony instead of having to worry about any of the details.
- We saved money. The average American wedding costs anywhere from $19,000 to $25,000! But our destination wedding only cost $5,260 (including the cruise and all amenities).
- We didn’t have to stress over all the little details like the invitations… seating arrangements… walking down the aisle… wedding dress and tux… flowers… licenses… Jim and I are non-traditional in every other way, so why not go against the norm by doing something different on our wedding day, too?
- Our wedding was able to be exactly as we wanted it to be. There were no fears or worries. In fact, we didn’t even have any expectations at all… we were so carefree about the whole thing, that we took pride in letting whatever might happen… happen! The only requirement on our part: to keep it FUN!
- Most people spend more time planning the wedding than they do enjoying it. Not us!
- We were able to get married in a very romantic, tropical setting that few have the opportunity to do. And we will enjoy sharing the details of our unique and adventurous wedding with friends and family for years to come.
- We didn’t have to worry about getting to or planning a honeymoon …because we were already there!
I planned my own Destination Wedding and everything went off without a hitch — we got married barefoot on the beach in the Bahamas! I like to help brides-to-be find unique ways to do things that will ultimately save them time & money on their wedding. I write about "outside the box" wedding ideas that most people wouldn't think of! When I'm not exploring the latest wedding trends, you can find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).