In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products & services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
This is Part 1 of 5 in a series: “How To Plan Your Dream Wedding“
How To Choose A Unique Location For Your Wedding
Not just any location will do for a dream wedding.
For a dream wedding, you’ll want to consider unusual, extraordinary locations.
- Try thinking of every place you’ve ever been that has had a lasting impression on you.
- Explore places you haven’t been yet, as well.
That second one is the option we chose. The less we knew about what it would be like “over there,” the less we felt compelled to worry about and fine-tune all of the little details.
If you choose your location wisely — whether it be the beauty of nature surrounding you, or a picturesque backdrop, or simply a quaint & peaceful locale that’s special to you for some reason — the details will pale in comparison to the entire atmosphere that’s enveloping you and your wedding guests.
For the record, we chose a barefoot-on-the-beach wedding in the Bahamas.
The location doesn’t have to be extravagant… or expensive. If Uncle Henry’s large estate farm has special meaning to you & yours, then Uncle Henry’s place might be the absolute best location for your dream wedding!
The best part: With a dream wedding, you’re not limited by the confines of four walls and a steeple. Dream weddings can take place anywhere that you want!
Some outdoor wedding locations to consider:
- on a cruise ship, or one of the cruise ports of call (…we chose a cruise wedding)
- in the woods (a great way to incorporate fire, water, wind, and earth components).
- at a formal garden or open field (surrounded by flowers or other organic life forms)
- on the beach (ocean, lake, or river)
- on a mountainside
- underwater (scuba diving …here’s a scuba wedding video!)
- at a horse farm or a ranch (…complete with a horse-drawn carriage ride)
- in a wedding chapel
- at a sporting facility (think a NASCAR event, or a baseball field)
- on the premises of a bed & breakfast
- at a ski resort
- on a boat
- on the grounds of a legendary museum or mansion
- at a golf course
- on a bridge (…it could be a small bridge or a big bridge
- at a campground
- on a roof or balcony
- in the air (think skydiving, a hot air balloon, or on an airplane)
- at the tallest, widest, most central, or most famous spot in a town that’s special to you (like underwater or the southernmost point in the U.S.)
- at a park
I planned my own Destination Wedding and everything went off without a hitch — we got married barefoot on the beach in the Bahamas! I like to help brides-to-be find unique ways to do things that will ultimately save them time & money on their wedding. I write about "outside the box" wedding ideas that most people wouldn't think of! When I'm not exploring the latest wedding trends, you can find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).