We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
They are the ones who keep everything under control and running smoothly for the bride, the groom, and everyone else involved.
However, I have to say that the maid of honor (or matron of honor, if already married) has a lot more to deal with than the best man.
So, if you have been asked to be a maid of honor, do you think you’ve got what it takes?
Following is a list of all the maid of honor duties, beginning months before the wedding and going right up to the wedding reception…
Things To Do Before The Wedding Day
- Go Shopping — Not only does a maid of honor assist the bride (and bridesmaids) in finding the perfect dresses, she also has to find and buy her own dress, shoes, and accessories.
- Help The Bride — There is no ending to the range of items that fall under the realm of “helping the bride.” While your assistance is required all throughout the wedding process, as far as the pre-wedding duties are concerned, the maid of honor helps the bride choose the wedding gift registry, flowers, colors, reception sites, decorations, guest favors, and cake. The maid of honor may also help by addressing wedding invitations, organizing playlists, and writing out place cards.
- Coordinate With The Bridesmaids — The maid of honor’s primary goal is to keep everyone on the same page. Make sure to remind bridesmaids of dress fittings, pre-wedding parties, and any other details that need to be addressed in the days leading up to the wedding.
- Plan A Bridal Shower — Sometimes the bride may choose to help with the planning of the bridal shower, but in most cases, it is left up to the maid of honor with the help of the mother of the bride and bridesmaids. Here is a bridal shower checklist and some bridal shower ideas that will be helpful. Remember to include where the couple is registered on the wedding invitations and keep track of who gave what. (Don’t forget your wedding gift too!)
- Plan A Bachelorette Party — This can be planned with the help of the bridesmaids. Although the bachelorette party is usually entirely paid for by the maid of honor, sometimes the bridesmaids help split the cost or the mother of the bride pays for it all. With lots of fun t-shirts, games, ideas and accessories to choose from, the bachelorette party can be naughty or nice, depending on the bride’s personality and the others involved. However this party is done, just make sure it’s a ton of fun because it is, after all, her last hurrah as a single lady!
- Attend Rehearsals — Along with attending pre-wedding parties, the maid of honor (and the bridesmaids) are also expected to attend the wedding rehearsals and rehearsal dinners. This is a great time to make sure everything is ready and everyone knows what they are supposed to do during the wedding ceremony. The maid of honor should also help guests with finding seats and restrooms, signing the guestbook, and assist with presents.
Things To Do On The Wedding Day
Before The Wedding Ceremony…
- Help the bride get dressed.
- Make sure all bridesmaids are on time and dressed with makeup and hair done.
- Hold the groom’s ring until the ceremony.
- Pick up or receive the flowers.
- Give out the bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages to the wedding party.
- Decorate the reception site.
- Assist the bride with whatever she needs to keep her calm and stress-free.
During The Wedding Ceremony…
- Arrange the bride’s veil and train before going down the aisle and when she arrives at the altar.
- Hold the bride’s bouquet while vows are exchanged.
- May be asked to hold a copy of special prayers or readings for the wedding ceremony.
- Stand by the bride at the alter.
- Supervise bridesmaids.
After The Wedding Ceremony…
- Sign the marriage license as a witness.
- Gather everyone together for photos.
- Help direct the newly married couple and guests to the reception area.
At The Wedding Reception…
- Sit at the
table with the bride and groom.
- Dance with the best man, groom, and groomsmen.
- Make a toast or speech after the best man does his.
- Assist the bride, and make sure she has food and drinks.
- Gather the single ladies for the bouquet toss.
- Mix and mingle with the wedding guests.
After The Wedding Reception…
- Help the bride change clothes for the honeymoon.
- Make sure the car is decorated and ready to go.
- Gather the bride’s dress, accessories, gifts, and anything else and return it to her home.
Additional Resources For Maid Of Honor Duties
I’m currently a graduate student. I like volunteering with a variety of organizations in my community, spending time with my nieces, and sharing fun tips about health & beauty issues.